Georgetown Real Estate Services

Seek Abandonment of City Interests

Overview – Abandonment

The City of Georgetown owns property in fee, holds easement rights on behalf of the public (public rights-of-way or public utility easements), and possesses proprietary easement rights on behalf of its municipally-owned utilities (Water, Wastewater, Electric, Drainage).  Those who desire the sale, vacation, and abandonment of any public streets, alleys, easements, and/or public rights-of-way by the City of Georgetown, or the release and abandonment of utility easements held by the City, should follow the procedure described in the link above.

There is a processing fee of $300.00 for each formal abandonment application.  Payment must accompany the submission of the formal application. If the application seeks to abandon a public right-of-way or public utility easement, State law and the Code of Ordinances also require that the property be sold for fair market value or exchanged for other interests of equal value, so the applicant should be prepared to pay the cost of a third-party appraisal and for the ultimate acquisition of the property.

For the abandonment of public streets, alleys, and rights-of-way, a public hearing will be called and advertised and an ordinance considered and acted upon by the City Council.  All other easement abandonments require Council approval, but only by resolution.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Click here to sign up for Georgetown news.
Click here to view our Twitter page. Click here to view our facebook page. Click here to view our Nextdoor page. Click here to view our Youtube page.
Click here to sign up for alerts.
image: City of Georgetown Texas logo