Georgetown Real Estate Services

Site Menu  

Easements and Deeds

Welcome, and thank you for choosing the City of Georgetown for your project.  We are dedicated to providing an efficient process for dedicating or conveying the necessary property rights to support effective and efficient infrastructure networks to further quality development of the community.  Click here to for specific information necessary to initiate the process for passing easements, rights of way, parkland, or other real property rights and assets to the City.  Should you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to the Real Estate team at

Important Note:

Don’t wait, get out the gate!

In most cases, the following cannot be completed without appropriate easements or deeds having been recorded with Williamson County.

  • Approval of residential subdivision
  • Approval of Site Development Plans
  • Acceptance of infrastructure (water/wastewater/electrical lines, roads, drainage infrastructure) that relies on an easement
  • Issuance of buildings permits pursuant to any of the above

So please do not wait to begin this process.

General Requirements:

  • Metes and Bounds w/ Plat
  • Title Insurance.
  • Use of the City’s Standard Form.  The most utilized forms can be obtained by clicking the links below.  For other forms, please reach out to the Real Estate team.

FAQs and General Information

  • What is an exclusive easement?

An exclusive easement is one in which the Grantor (party granting the easement to the City) agrees not to grant any other easements or rights to parties other than the City.

  • Why does the City require exclusive easements?

The City obtains exclusive easements in order to provide the maximum protection for critical infrastructure.  Exclusivity allows the City to prevent uses which endanger its waterlines, wastewater lines, etc. and to provide guidance in the planning and design of such infrastructure as which would not endanger the City’s infrastructure.

  • What can I do/install in a City of Georgetown Easement?

This depends on the type of easement.  Ornamental Trees and fences may be planted in PUEs (a specific type of easement) under certain circumstances.  Other improvements may require a license to encroach, which is a document which describes what can be installed in a specific instance and the terms of that installation.  For more information, of further answers to your questions, please email

  • Can other utilities use City of Georgetown Easements?

PUEs may be used by other public utilities which hold a franchise agreement with the City, or a Statewide franchise granted by the State of Texas.  Otherwise, a specific agreement between the City and the utility company is required for use of a City easement.

  • Why does the City require title insurance?

Easements and property represent both an asset and a liability for a City.  They are an asset in that they support the City’s mission to provide services to the public and its customers, and they have value as real property or real property rights.  They are a liability in that 1) the must ensure the effectiveness and security of the easement in order to ensure they can be used, and 2) the City must protect the investment of its taxpayers/ratepayers.  Therefore, the City must be able to ensure from the earliest point that it has the clear title to secure its investment in the infrastructure not only within the easement but elsewhere in the network which relies on the easement.

  • When does the City not require title insurance?

The City does not require title insurance for sidewalk easements.

  • Why is the easement so big when the utility line is so small?

The easement provides space for a number of facets of the utility operation:

  1. The utility line itself.
  2. The bedding, or protective barrier around the utility line line that provides support for the line.
  3. The trench, which is the area which must be excavated in order to install, maintain, and repair the line.  The width of the trench is not only a factor of the size of the line and the bedding area, but also the depth.  The deeper in the ground the line is located, the wider the trench must be to ensure a safe workspace for City crews.
  4. Workspace.  This is minimum area needed by City crews to place spoils, work, and traverse the easement in the course of their duties.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email